There are many careers and jobs in the motion picture industry in the Thompson-Nicola region and throughout British Columbia.
Explore Creative Pathways
Jobs & Programs
Above the Line refers to Producers, Directors, Screenwriters and Lead Performers. In a budget, their salaries and benefits are listed “above” the figurative budget line, because their salaries can fluctuate greatly depending on each individual’s success at their profession.
Below the Line refers to the crew. There are 31 departments and more than 300 job roles.
In B.C., there are six unions and guilds representing the crew. However, there are non-union projects that need crew, such as commercials, documentaries, and industrial, corporate or educational films. These projects often consist of non-union crewmembers.
- For job descriptions of the technical crew, click here.
- To explore the job market and programs, and more information about skills, click here.
Film Adjacent careers refer to employees who work in the motion picture industry but in other capacities beyond on the set.
Animation, VFX or Post-Production careers can be explored here.
- ActSafe BC
- Aerial & Scissor Lift Training
- Canadian Media Producers Association – BC Producers Branch
- Commercial Producers of Western Canada
- COVID-19 Safety Procedures: Free (30 mins)
- CreativeBC – In Production List
- Documentary Organization of Canada – British Columbia, Yukon and Northwest Territories Chapter
- Fall Protection Certificate: $100 – (4.5 hours for practical component)
- Motion Picture Industry Orientation Course: $75
- MPIO Test: $50 (45 mins)
- National Film Board of Canada – British Columbia
- Other Supervisors & Department courses
- Production Assistant App: CrewPax
- Propane Heater Safety Awareness: Free (1.5 hours)
- Reel Green™ Carbon Literacy: Free (2 hours)
- Safety Bulletins
- Set Safety Awareness 101: Free (5 hours)
- WHMIS: $30 (2 hours)