Live Music & Film Education
For live music events, performers, venues, organizations and resources in the Thompson-Nicola Regional District and Lillooet go to BCs Best Live Music website
NEW JAN 2021 Production Assistant Training (free / online)
Online Course: March 1 - May 21, 2021 (12 weeks)
This tuition free Production Assistant online course includes a suite of certificates and is available to regional residents 15 years and older.
- Production Assistant Essentials certificate
- Motion Picture Production Industry Orientation course certificate
- Motion Picture Safety Awareness certificate
- Pandemic Safety Protocols certificate
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) certificate
- Respectful Workplace certificate
- Food Safe Level 1 certificate
- Traffic Control certificate
- Propane Safety Awareness certificate
The Production Assistant course s approved by the Directors Guild of Canada (DGC-BC Branch) and after taking this course, the DGC will waive the 100 day on-set requirement and you can work professionally and start your log books for membership.
Registration – tuition free link
The Thompson-Nicola Film Commission is a partner and consultant on this initiative as a member of the Regional Film Commissions Association of BC.
Production Assistant Time-frame and Schedule
- 12 Weeks
- March 1 – May 21, 2021
- All but one certificate courses are on demand
- Motion Pictures Industry Orientation course will have 4 different time slots
How much time should one expect to spend working towards the program per week?
- Hours per week depends on each learner yet individuals are wise to consider allocating three hours a day if possible. They will see the return based on what they put in.
- Students will be provided with a full schedule which outlines start and end dates of each specific course.
- There is support provided across each course.
Are there any set meeting days / times or are all 9 sections and certificates done at one's own pace?
• There will be a minimum of 1-two hour virtual class per week, 1 panel session with guest industry speakers each week, learners will then work at their own pace within a recommended weekly schedule. Students will engage through on-line chats and reviews over and above the virtual class and panel session.
Are there alternative times if a student cannot make a certain virtual class time?
- They will also have 2 different 2-hour blocks of access to the instructor each week if they need some help
- The Motion Picture Industry Orientation certificate course will have scheduled times as the college has to get 120 students through that 1-day course in 4 blocks of 30 students.
- All other certificates are online and on demand during the 12 weeks