Not Logged In

The Tranquille Hospital Complex is also referred to as Tranquille Farm Fresh or Padova or Tranquille Sanatorium.

A condensed ftp site dedicated to Tranquille Property is www.tnrd.bcfilmcommission.com/tranquille1

 

Filming

Past projects include the mini-series “Alice”, the MTV series “Fear”, TV series “The Mole”, and feature films such as “Firewall” starring Harrison Ford, “Afghan Knights” starring Michael Madsen and “The A Team” starring Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper and many others.

About Tranquille Farm Fresh, Kamloops, BC

Tranquille Farm Fresh is located by Kamloops Lake and includes many vacated hospital and support buildings. Some refer to it as Padova, its old name.

It was an entire self-sufficient small community unto itself . The hospitals, support buildings, residential area and offices have been closed since 1984 and some of the buildings are dilapidated and weathered and is ideal as a Director’s playground.

There is a comprehensive tunnel system that connects support buildings such as the cafeteria buildings, the laundry building, and the Sage, Greaves & Old Main hospital buildings.

The Greaves Hospital Building

Vacant Buildings on the Tranquille property are:

  • Old Main Hospital
  • Sage Hospital
  • Greaves Hospital
  • High Park Nurses Dormitory (ext. only)
  • East Pavilion Nurses Dormitory (ext. only)
  • Meadowview Men’s Dormitory
  • Cafeteria & kitchen building
  • Laundry building (empty)
  • Fire Hall
  • Gymnasium (ext. only)
  • Carpentry & paint building
  • Elementary school with playground (ext ony)
  • Caretakers’ building
  • Crop fields
  • Small cemetery
  • Blue Pavilion office building 
  • Green Administration building (ext. only)
  • Gardens with pond & small bridge
 
  • Residential Area:
    • Several small houses
    • Doctor’s house – large
    • Four-plexes
    • Three-plexes
  • Ranch & Farm Buildings are renovated and used
  • Transportation Structures:
    • Underground tunnels
    • Paved roads throughout property
    • Bridge across Tranquille Creek

Old Main Hospital

History

“Tranquille”, also referred to as Padova City, was the “King Edward VII Tuberculosis Sanatorium”. The area itself was named “Tranquille” after the Indian Chief “Sanquil”. Tuberculosis or consumption or the white plague, was an epidemic at turn-of-the-century. The land just outside Kamloops city limits, where the North and South Thompson meet and flow into Kamloops Lake, was purchased in 1905 and the tuberculosis hospital began taking patients by 1907. The site is approximately 191 acres and by the 1950s had at least 40 buildings. Tranquille was operated as a tuberculosis sanatorium from its inception until 1958 when it was closed. The facility reopened in 1959 as a home for the mentally challenged, and was shut down permanently in 1984; a victim of government budget cuts. Tranquille has changed hands several times since then. In 1991, A&A Estates bought Tranquille, intending to turn the property into an Italian "homeland" called Padova City. But the project fell through a couple of years later. It has been envisioned as an exclusive resort and a small, completely self-sufficient, sustainable city.

Today it is an urban farm with plans to become a sustainable village community on Kamloops Lake (more).

The Sage Building Hospital

Future

It is owned by BC Wilderness Tours, and they are experienced and supportive in facilitating film and television productions on their property.

In the last few years, the barns and support buildings have been restored and is the hub of an active urban farm. Most of the other buildings are boarded up to prevent vandalism.

Resources

Tranquille Residential Area

 

  • Association of Film Commisioners International